Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Grandparents Day 2011!

I have never heard of Grandparents Day until this year. One day last month I walked into Target and seen Grandparents Day Cards on display with the date 9-11-11 under it. At first I thought it was Hallmarks way to make more money. But after thorough research I realized that I was wrong.....

National Grandparents Day originated with Marian McQuade, a housewife in Fayette County, West Virginia. Her primary motivation was to champion the cause of lonely elderly in nursing homes. She also hoped to persuade grandchildren to tap the wisdom and heritage their grandparents could provide. President Jimmy Carter, in 1978, proclaimed that National Grandparents Day would be celebrated every year on the first Sunday after Labor Day. 

I am a firm believer that you are accountable for what you know. With that being said my husband and I decided to show recognition to our kids Grandparents this year( since my kiddos are too young to do it themselves). We blessed the Grandparents by taking them out to eat and spending quality time....exactly what they wanted and enjoyed.My In-laws and my Parents have been there to support, encourage, and help from the very beginning. Beginning, being when we found out we were pregnant with our first. I think that it is great that Grandparents get their own day because they deserve it!!
The Kiddo's and I took Mama to MiMi's for Lunch.


The Bells had a great time over Pavlo's Pizza!

If only my Dad and Mama-Frances was in the same state..... we would of treated them too!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jonnique and Wes, I am convinced that God GAVE John and I (Us all) two of the most loving and thoughtful people whom HE created, to be our children. GOD ALWAYS GIVES HIS BEST! It brings tears to my eyes and pride to my heart, to know that you two have such GODLY hearts, to have even considered bestowing such "Honor" upon us. We can't wait to finally, meet our Beautiful JoJo and spend time with Sir Joshua and Mr & Mrs Bell. THANK YOU, We Love you with all of our hearts. Papa John and Nanna Frances